How to Apply to CPS High Schools — Grades 7, 8 and 9
We use an online random lottery process for entrance into Cincinnati Public Schools' high schools at grades 7, 8 and 9, which helps assure equal access for in-district students.
Who SHOULD participate in the online high school lottery?
- Current 6th-graders at CPS elementary schools that end at 6th grade
- Current 8th-graders at the following six K-8 schools (and current 6th- and 7th-graders at these schools who want to enter a 7-12 high school):
- Academy of Multilingual Immersion Studies (AMIS)
- Academy of World Languages (AWL)
- Hartwell School
- Roberts Academy
- Roselawn Condon School
- Sayler Park School
Note: CPS students now attending schools with elementary and high school grades (3-9, K-12) may stay at those schools without participating in this application lottery.
Who SHOULD NOT participate in the online lottery?
- Current 6th-, 7th- and 8th-graders attending a non-CPS school (such as charter, private or home schools) but live within the boundaries of the Cincinnati Public School District.
- Students who have previously received or registered for a high school are unable to submit an application. Parents/Guardians must contact the high school(s) they are interested in registering their child to attend.
- Students who live outside the boundaries of the Cincinnati Public School District. This group applies during Open Enrollment in May.
- Students applying to Oyler School, the School for Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA) or Walnut Hills High School.
Oyler School has a neighborhood requirement for students, and SCPA and Walnut Hills have eligibility requirements; parents must go to these schools to register and complete, or provide proof of, eligibility requirements where necessary.
- Students now attending a high school in grades 7-12 who want to change high schools.
- Students in grades 6, 7 or 8 now attending a CPS school with elementary and high school grades (3-11, K-12) who want to change schools.