New Citywide Magnet School Serves Cincinnati’s Brightest Students
Cincinnati Public Schools opens a new home for its most academically promising children in August 2017 at the new Spencer Center for Gifted and Exceptional Students in Walnut Hills, for grades 3 through 8.
Applications to the new Spencer Center program for grades 3-8 for the 2017-18 school year can be submitted via the(lottery).
Parents: If an application already has been submitted to a magnet school for 2017-18 for a child now interested in applying to Spencer Center, please contact the CPS Customer Help Center: (513) 363-0123. The online application process accepts only one application per child per school year; the Customer Help Center can override the original application and submit a Spencer Center application.
Spencer Center for Gifted and Exceptional Students
Students will blossom in this flexible, yet rigorous, environment at the new Spencer Center, 2825 Alms Place, 45206. It will prepare students for the academic rigor of CPS' Special College Preparatory Program (SCPP) at Dater and Walnut Hills high schools, or for academic success at any secondary school. It also offers students a highly personalized learning experience with opportunities to travel abroad.
Gifted and Exceptional Students Benefit From:
- A rigorous curriculum that connects the classroom to actual workplaces – providing students with opportunities for internships and career-based experiences that will prepare them for the real world.
- Opportunities to study through exciting field experiences in Cincinnati, and, eventually, abroad.
- A robust offering of extracurricular activities and sports.
- Latin classes to prepare students for the Special College Preparatory Program (SCPP) offered at Dater and Walnut Hills high schools.
- Unique electives, such as Yoga, Tai Chi, Robotics, Foreign Language and Mindfulness.
- Project-based, hands-on learning incorporating problem-solving and design thinking to bring academic concepts to life.
Who Can Attend the Spencer Center for Gifted and Exceptional Students?
Students currently attending Cincinnati Public Schools, as well as those in charter or non-public schools located within the district, are eligible to apply as long as they meet eligibility requirements:
For Gifted Students (grades 3-8)
• Rank at the Superior Cognitive level on a cognitive abilities test,
• Score at the 95th percentile or higher in two of the following subjects on the Terra Nova or other standardized achievement test: Reading, Math, Social Studies or Science. One of the two subjects must be either Math or Reading.
For Exceptional Students (grades 3-8)
• Scores between 85th and 94th percentile on the Terra Nova reading test,
• Scores at 123 or above on the Inview Cognitive Skills Index,
• Scores at 123 or above on the CogAT Student-Aged Score (SAS).
- Application Process: Customer Help Center (513) 363-0123
- Programming: Student Services Department (513) 363-0281