Skip To Main Content

Toggle Close Container

Mobile Main Nav

Header Holder

Header Mobile Sticky

Toggle Menu Container

Toggle Schools Container - Mobile

Header Top

Header Right Column

More Languages

Header Right Bottom

Toggle Schools Container - Desktop

Header Sticky - Desktop

District Canvas Container

Close District Canvas

Desktop District Tabs

Mobile District Nav


Student Employment

How to Get a Work Permit for a Minor Child

Per Ohio law, work permits are required for all students under the age of 18 who want to work during the school year. Students who are 14-15 years old must have permits to work any time.

To receive a work permit, a student must complete an application form, obtain approvals from their potential employers and from parents or legal guardians; provide a birth certificate to show proof of age; and a physician's signed and time-stamped certificate (physical). In addition, Cincinnati Public Schools requires a recent report card to confirm school enrollment.

Note: Hour restrictions outlined in Ohio Revised Code Section 4109 remain in place for minors during any week that was not a pre-planned school holiday, such as Spring Break, and the prohibited and hazardous occupation restrictions also still are active for minors during this closure.

How to get a Minor Work Permit

  • Download and print the Minor Work Permit application form (Ohio calls it a "pre-application") to gather necessary information and approvals from potential employers and parents or legal guardians.
  • Take the completed Minor Work Permit application and required documents to the office at the child's high school.
  • For minor children who live outside Ohio and want work permits to work in Ohio (i.e. at Great American Ball Park, Kings Island): CPS’ Customer Care Center processes these applications by appointment only.
  • For minor children who are home-schooled: CPS’ Customer Care Center processes these applications by appointment only.

Alternate Route to a Minor Work Permit

The employer may use the completed paperwork as the Minor Work Permit certificate until the parent/guardian, or the minor child, takes the paperwork to the child's high school office for processing.