Security Badges and Background Checks
Cincinnati Public Schools requires that CPS-issued security badges be worn by anyone entering CPS' schools and offices.
One-time or Infrequent Visitors
- Receive temporary security badges with their photos generated by Lobby-Guard machines in each CPS building
Frequent Visitors - Security Badges with Background Checks
- Must obtain CPS-issued security badges; includes student teachers, co-op students, interns, police in CPS' employ, consultants, contractors, vendors and volunteers. Background checks required to receive CPS security badges.
- Local background checks: For individuals who will not have unsupervised contact with students; check is done in county where the person lives.
- BCII (Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification) and FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) background checks: For everyone who will have unsupervised contact with students; unsupervised contact means not accompanied by a CPS employee.
Levels of background checks vary based on contact with students.
- A Security Badge Authorization Form signed by the building administrator required.
Background checks available at three locations:
- Cincinnati Public Schools, Education Center, 2651 Burnet Ave, 45219, Corryville
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. & 1:45 p.m.-2:45 p.m.
Issues BCII and FBI only. 48 hours for results. Exact cash - $50 - for BCII and FBI
- University of Cincinnati, Edwards Building, Public Safety Door No. 4, 51 W. Corry Blvd., off Jefferson, 45221, Clifton
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Issues BCII and FBI only. Return the next day to receive your copy. Cash or credit card - $66 - for BCII and FBI
- Hamilton County Justice Center, 1000 Sycamore Street, 45202, downtown
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Issues BCII, FBI and Local for Hamilton County residents. Have report mailed to CPS; this can take 2-4 weeks. Cash only - $66 - for BCII and FBI; $5 for Local.
Bring an official form of identification such as State ID or driver’s license.
Note: A background check obtained online is not acceptable.
How to Obtain a CPS Security Badge
- Bring results of background check to CPS Security Office, Education Center, 2651 Burnet Avenue, 45219, Corryville.
- Security badges issued Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Board Policy No. 8475 - CPS Background Checks Procedure