Security Badges and Background Checks
Cincinnati Public Schools requires that CPS-issued security badges be worn by anyone entering CPS' schools and offices.
One-time or Infrequent Visitors
- Receive temporary security badges, with their photos, generated by Lobby-Guard machines in each CPS building
Frequent Visitors - Security Badges with Background Checks
- Must obtain CPS-issued security badges; includes student teachers, co-op students, interns, police officers in CPS' employ, consultants, contractors, vendors and volunteers. Background checks are required to receive CPS security badges.
- Local background checks: For individuals who will not have unsupervised contact with students; check is done in county where the person lives.
- BCII (Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification) and FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) background checks, which include fingerprinting: For everyone who will have unsupervised contact with students; unsupervised contact means not accompanied by a CPS employee.
Levels of background checks vary based on contact with students.
- A Security Badge Authorization Form signed by the building administrator required.
Background checks available at two locations:
- Cincinnati Public Schools, Education Center, 2651 Burnet Ave, 45219, Corryville
Hours: Tuesday through Thursday 8 a.m.– noon. & 1:45 p.m.– 2:45 p.m.
Issues BCII and FBI only. 48 hours for results. Exact cash — $50 — for BCII and FBI
- Hamilton County Justice Center, 1000 Sycamore Street, 45202, downtown
Hours: Monday-Friday 7 a.m.–3 p.m.
Local for Hamilton County residents. $5 for Local.
Bring an official form of identification such as State ID or driver's license.
Note: A background check obtained online is not acceptable.
How to Obtain a CPS Security Badge
- Employees: Bring your postcard from Human Resources.
- Bring results of background check to CPS Security Office, Education Center, 2651 Burnet Avenue, 45219, Corryville, if not completed here.
- Security badges issued Tuesday through Thursday, 8 a.m.–noon, and 1 p.m.–3 p.m.
Hover over the word "Badges" to see available appointment times, then click to reserve the selected time slot.
Board Policy No. 8475 - CPS Background Checks Procedure