CPS Students Speak Up and Speak Out on Racial Issues
Cincinnati Public Schools values the voice of the African American community, and we want our African American students to be heard as well.
CPS Students Speak Up and Speak Out gives African American students opportunities to share their experiences surrounding racial injustice and inequities. It’s also a place for Cincinnati leaders to hear them and discuss how we can empower our young people to effectively create change.
Joshua Hardin, CPS' Athletics Manager and coordinator of Speak Up and Speak Out, described the first forum as, "great, powerful and emotional, but so needed."
"CPS hears and honors the voice of the African American community, and we want to do the same for the African American students we serve," Hardin said. "We are deeply committed to ensuring all students have access to high-quality education, and are committed to listening and making changes necessary to be a part of much needed systemic change."
The primary audience is CPS' students in grades 7-12, with a special focus on our African American students. Students may join in via a web browser, phone or mobile device.
The forum is open to news media and community members in listen-only mode.
"This is an opportunity for the young people and the city of Cincinnati to rise up in peaceful demonstration to take a stance against racism that is seen within our communities and, potentially, also experienced within our schools."
—Laura Mitchell, Superintendent, Cincinnati Public Schools
Watch the Forums
- March 8, 2021, Speak Up and Speak Out Forum
- February 25, 2021, Speak Up and Speak Out Social Justice Rally
- January 19, 2021, Speak Up and Speak Out on the National Day of Racial Healing
- November 2 Speak Up and Speak Out Forum
- August 19 Speak Up and Speak Out Forum
- July 15 Speak Up and Speak Out Forum
- June 17 Speak Up and Speak Out Forum
- June 10 Speak Up and Speak Out Forum
- June 3 Speak Up and Speak Out Forum
Information coming soon!
How Can I Participate in a Forum
All are welcome to attend each forum, and there will be opportunities for all students to join in and have their voices heard. If you would like to be a preselected student on our panel or assist with the forums, please contact your school Athletic Director. Athletic Directors information can be found here.
Speak Up and Speak Out in the News
- Opinion: Have we outgrown Black History Month? — February 24, 2021
- CPS Students Ask Black History Be Taught Outside Of Black History Month — February 25, 2021
- CPS Student Group Presents Demands To School Board — March 2, 2021
- CPS students demand change for inclusive education and social justice — March 3, 2021