CPS offers gifted programming at two schools — Cincinnati Gifted Academy West at Cheviot School and Spencer Center for Gifted and Exceptional Students.
Cincinnati Gifted Academy West at Cheviot School
Gifted and exceptional students in grades 3–6 will blossom in Cheviot School's Gifted Academy, a rigorous environment that is flexible enough to meet individual learning needs. Teachers design learning experiences to be academically challenging, while stimulating personal growth and encouraging students to contribute to the community. The goal is to develop the "whole child," and education is complemented by instruction in arts enrichment and Latin to prepare students to excel in the Special College Preparatory Program (SCPP) available at Walnut Hills High School.
- Teachers who are certified as specialists to instruct gifted students
- Instruction differentiated within the classroom to allow students to excel at their own pace
- Technology infused into the classroom to enrich and accelerate learning
- Problem-based learning experiences that keep students engaged and demonstrate real-world application
- Field trips and guests that provide enrichment opportunities
Gifted and Exceptional Eligibility
Students eligible for Cincinnati Gifted Academy West have the following gifted markers:
- Rank at the Superior Cognitive level on a cognitive abilities test
- Score at the 95th percentile or higher in two of the following subjects on the Terra Nova or other standardized achievement test: Reading, Math, Social Studies or Science. One of the two subjects must be either Math or Reading.
Qualification for entrance to Cincinnati Gifted Academy West is based on second-grade scores on state-approved assessments.
More information about gifted and exceptional eligibility — CPS' Test Administration Office: (513) 363-0180
More information about Cincinnati Gifted Academy West: (513) 363-0567
The Cheviot School Advantage
- Small class sizes and individualized attention
- Highly qualified, caring teachers with advanced degrees
- All-day preschool and kindergarten classes
- Free breakfast program for all students
- Robust before- and after-school program that offers music, dance, culture club, tutoring, homework assistance, field trips, tennis, special events and more
- Free tutoring provided by teachers and community partners both during and after school
- Regular art, music and physical education classes for all students
- A uniform policy for all students
- Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts programs
- A Walking School Bus to get students to and from school safely each day
- School wellness programs that promote healthy eating, ample exercise and strong character
- A full-time Resource Coordinator who secures partners that provide a wealth of mental, cognitive and character supports to help students succeed
- Leadership clubs and opportunities for all students, preschool to 6th grade
- Girls and Boys soccer for grades 3–6
- Chess Club for all students in grades 2, 3, 4
Enroll your child in Cheviot School: (513) 363-1400
Spencer Center for Gifted and Exceptional Students
Who Can Attend the Spencer Center for Gifted and Exceptional Students?
Students currently attending Cincinnati Public Schools, as well as those in charter or non-public schools located within the district, are eligible to apply as long as they meet eligibility requirements:
For Gifted Students (grades 3–10)
- Rank at the Superior Cognitive level on a cognitive abilities test,
- Score at the 95th percentile or higher in two of the following subjects on the Iowa Test or other standardized achievement test: Reading, Math, Social Studies or Science. One of the two subjects must be either Math or Reading.
For Exceptional Students (grades 3–10)
- Scores between 85th and 94th percentile on the Iowa reading test,
- Scores at 123 or above on the Inview Cognitive Skills Index,
- Scores at 123 or above on the CogAT Student-Aged Score (SAS).
- Application Process and Programming: (513) 363-5800