Included on this page are highlights from our policies and procedures. The Sands Montessori Student Handbook includes more details on each of these items.
As a reminder, our hours are:
School Hours: 9:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Office Hours: 9:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Please call in your child's absence by 9:00 a.m.
- Student dismissal changes must be in writing and presented to the classroom teacher first thing in the morning.
- For emergency changes, please contact the main office prior to 2:30 p.m.
- Our office staff will notify students/teachers of emergency changes at the end of the day so as not to disrupt learning.
- Families should not call the office and change dismissal routines on a regular basis as this is challenging for students and staff.
It is important for students to be in attendance for a full day unless they are sick.
We appreciate parents making every effort to schedule appointments for students outside of the school day.
Student behavior that distracts bus drivers is a hazard to the vehicle's safe operation, and jeopardizes the safety and welfare of all passengers. Misbehavior while on a yellow school bus or a Metro bus can result in disciplinary action for the student or the suspension of transportation service for the student. Read more about our requirements for student behavior on buses.
Review CPS' Code of Conduct for disciplinary procedures.
Snow Days and School Delays
Snow days and school delays are announced on our website, local TV and radio stations, CPS' mobile app, and through automated phone calls. Assume school is open unless you hear otherwise. Learn more about CPS' severe weather and emergency closing procedures.
Additional Policy Information
- The Eagle's Nest Newsletter is sent home to every Sands family at certain times of the school year.
- Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. If you arrive after 4:30 p.m. for any of our athletic programs, please enter through the gym doors as the main door automatically locks at 4:30 p.m.
- Missing any items? Please remember to label all student items, lunch boxes, coats, musical instruments, etc. Also, we have small collection of glasses if any student is missing a pair. All left over items will be donated if not claimed. Lost and found items.
- Student safety is of the utmost priority at Sands. The following carline procedures are to ensure the safety of all students and staff members:(3-6) students and their siblings are to be dropped off at the side (3-6) entrance. They should exit the car only when a staff member opens the door.
(6-9) and (9-12) students are to be dropped off in the front circle. Students may exit the car with the assistance of a staff member when a car has safely stopped in the front circle.
- Please wait patiently for the cars in front of you to load/unload passengers and do not pull around to exit. Staff members will direct traffic, should there be a delay, and cars will be safely routed around a stopped car.
We appreciate your understanding and patience.