We teach four world languages: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese and Russian. Students take approximately 150 minutes of foreign language on a weekly basis.
Benefits of learning a second language, especially at an early age:
- Provides a positive effect on intellectual growth, and enriches and enhances a child's mental development.
- Give students more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language and a better ear for listening.
- Improves children's understanding of their native languages.
- Opens the door to other cultures, and helps children understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Gives students a head start on college language requirements.
- Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing a second language is a valued asset.
Our World Language team:
- Ms. Chana'a teaches Arabic
- Ms. Tsai teaches Chinese
- Ms. Aloway teaches Japanese
- Ms. Hoyle teaches Russian
English Language Learning
Our ESL students make up more than 50 percent of our student population. They are immersed in our regular academic programs as well as placed in ESL classes according to their English Proficiency level. Many of our students are adding English to the long list of languages they have already learned in their homes.
Our English as a Second Language team:
- Ms. Erskine teaches Kindergarten and 1st grade.
- Ms. Jones teaches 2nd and 3rd grades.
- Ms. Pan teaches 4th and 5th grades.
- Ms. Striebeck and Ms. Lundy teach 6th, 7th and 8th grades.