Audition Process and Procedures
SCPA is a K-12 pre-professional art and academic college preparatory school. Artistically, we prepare students for continued university and conservatory studies, apprenticeships, and/or professional experience. Academically, we prepare students for continued college and university studies in the humanities, liberal arts, and sciences. In addition to serving a student population with traditional needs, SCPA serves students with Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and students who have been identified by CPS as gifted and talented. Through meticulous attention to both artistic and academic development, we provide all of our students with very unique educational opportunities. Please review the following information carefully and be sure to submit all requested materials.
SCPA Audition Dates and Deadlines
- Online Application Deadline for Winter Auditions: Friday, January 6, 2023 @4pm
- Winter Auditions: January 17-19, 2023
- Online Application Deadline for Spring Auditions: Friday, March 17 @4pm
- Spring Auditions: April 11-13, 2023
Important Audition Links
- 4th-6th Grade Audition Packet
- 7th-12th Grade Audition Packet
- Online SCPA Application to Audition
Criteria for Acceptance into SCPA
- Demonstration of artistic talent and ability in one or more of the seven artistic disciplines in the SCPA curriculum. Artistic talent is evaluated by SCPA artistic faculty members.
- Demonstration of exemplary school behavior, discipline, and attendance at the applicant’s current and former schools.
- Demonstration of a positive and enthusiastic attitude toward learning and an ability to work cooperatively with others.
SCPA Admission Process for Students Entering Grades K-3
K-3 enrollment is through the CPS Board of Education lottery. Students admitted through the lottery must audition for an arts discipline to begin 4th grade at SCPA. Please visit the Cincinnati Public Schools Board of Education Website for more information.
SCPA Admission Process for Students Entering Grades 4-12
Step 1: SCPA Audition Packet
- Review the SCPA Audition Packet for the specific criteria for your area(s) of interest. Audition packets can be downloaded above in the Important Audition Links section. Audition packets are also available in the main lobby at SCPA.
- Grades 4-6 are encouraged to audition in all areas. Grades 7-12
- Review the requirements closely and practice, practice, practice!
Step 2: SCPA Application to Audition
- Complete the online SCPA Application to Audition.
- Submit the Application to Audition and all supporting materials by three weeks before the upcoming Audition date. Please note the following supporting materials will be needed for the Application to be considered complete.
- Academic Teacher Recommendation (a link to request the recommendation will appear on the application)
- Proof of residency (i.e., most recent utility bill, lease agreement, or mortgage statement)
- Recent photograph or headshot of your child.
- Out-of-district/state students must submit a $25.00 application fee payment made in the form of cash or money order payable to SCPA (Currently we are not able to accept payment online. Payment should be brought in or mailed to the school).
Step 3: Audition Date and Time
After receipt of your completed application and payment, if applicable, you will be notified via email of your exact Audition Date and Time. Please ensure your email address is correct on the application, and be sure to check your spam folder!
Step 4: Day of Audition
- Bring the completed Audition Packet and supporting material (i.e., visual art portfolio) with you to the audition unless otherwise stated.
- Please be on time for your audition. Students who arrive late to the audition will not be able to audition.
- Students who miss their audition will need to wait to audition for the following school year. This will require the student to (1) complete and submit a new application, (2) submit all of the supporting materials, and (3) audition again in person at the school for the next school year.
- Students will audition for the SCPA artistic faculty.
Parents are not permitted in the audition area. Parents will have the opportunity to meet in the school theater with the SCPA Artistic Director and SCPA Staff. They will review the audition procedure with parents and give an overview of the school curriculum and policies.
Step 5: Audition Results
- Students will be notified by email of the audition result within six weeks after the audition date.
- In-district students will be accepted or not accepted to SCPA .
- If accepted, the parent/guardian will be sent an acceptance email with instructions on how to register to enroll your child. The parent/guardian must then fully complete the registration for the enrollment process.
- If not accepted, the parent/guardian will be sent a not accepted email; however, the student may audition again the following school year. SCPA requires the submission of all new applications and supporting materials each year.
- Out-of-district students will be notified by email and in writing if they have a successful or unsuccessful SCPA audition. A successful audition does not guarantee acceptance into the school. Out-of-district students must also be accepted through the Out-of-district Open Enrollment Process that occurs in May and is handled by CPS. If accepted through the CPS Out-of-district Open Enrollment, a letter of acceptance will be sent on behalf of CPS specifying what steps need to be taken to enroll your child.
Step 6: Registration to Enroll
- A reasonable deadline for completion of the enrollment process will be identified by the school registrar. If the parent/guardian does not meet the deadline, the child may forfeit his/her eligibility to become an SCPA student.
- More information regarding the application and audition materials can be found at scpa.cps-k12.org. You may also contact the Artistic Department at 513-363-8042 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay up to date with SCPA performances and events on Facebook @cincinnatiscpa and Instagram @scpacincinnati