1937: the school was proposed for the Kennedy Heights community
1944: CPS Board of Education was granted authority to issue bonds in the amount of $16 million.The funds were used to purchase an area off Lumford Place adjoining Kennedy Heights Park, as well as finance a project feasibility study conducted by Hunt and Allen Architects and Engineers. The proposal to build the Kennedy Heights Junior High School was submitted in September 1946.
February 1953, E.C. Landberg & Associates were awarded a contract to develop plans and specifications for the school’s construction.
November 1953: The finalized plan called for the building to house 830 students, 16 recitation-type classrooms, four science rooms, one art room, one craft room, three industrial arts shops, three homemaking rooms, a band room, library, a 500-seat auditorium, gymnasium, and pupil and faculty lunchrooms.
CPS officially renamed the school William J. Shroder Junior High School. Born in Cincinnati, Shroder was a local attorney, civic leader and School Board member and president from May 1924 through December 1933. During his tenure on the CPS Board, development of the Cincinnati School system increased as he helped to institute equal pay for all teachers regardless of gender or grade taught, as well as raising professional standards for all employees. Shroder Junior High School continued to thrive, serving as a neighborhood feeder school to the Cincinnati Academic of Mathematics and Science Program at Woodward High School throughout the 1960s-late 1980s.
In 1991, the school transitioned from a junior high to a middle school as Padeia philosophy was implemented into the curriculum and with great success.
September 2000: Shroder Middle School added a Freshman class and created a high school. In 2004 the first class graduated from Shroder High School.
As the student population increased, the need for a larger facility was quickly recognized. As part of the district's Facilities Master Plan, the construction of the new Shroder High School located at 5030 Duck Creek Road in Madisonville began with the groundbreaking taking place in July 2005. Construction was completed and the doors to our new facility opened in January 2007, culminating with a ribbon-cutting ceremony in March 2007.