Creative Integration of Arts and Sciences Program
At South Avondale School, students learn how to design and engineer a dynamic future through the new Creative Integration of Arts and Sciences (CIAS) program. The program provides a positive platform to collectively engage students and families in all aspects of the learning process. The school will be infused with STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) concepts for students to engage with. Classrooms and public areas are transformed into galleries and performance spaces where the arts and sciences come alive.
What Does This Mean for Students?
Introduced for the 2017-18 school year for students in grades K-6, South Avondale’s interdisciplinary CIAS curriculum helps students build critical thinking skills through artistic expression. As students create, perform, respond to and connect with new materials, they will transform their gifts into strengths that are essential to the 21st-century workforce.
South Avondale School students will benefit from:
- Integrated field studies at major academic and artistic institutions throughout Cincinnati
- Arts and Sciences expositions in the fall and spring, featuring student presentations, performances and products
- Integrated arts and sciences curriculum, emphasizing all stages of the student creation process
- State-of-the-art creation stations and learning labs
- An after-school program in which students use the arts and science lens for various inquiry and design projects
- After-school care provided by the Hirsch Community Recreation Center with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Cincinnati
- Various extracurricular activities, such as Young Distinguished Gentleman Step Club, band, choir and the Avondale Youth Orchestra
- A full-time resource coordinator who secures partners that provide mental, cognitive and character supports to help students succeed
- School-based health center provided through Children’s Hospital
- Therapeutic experiences provided by Children’s Home of Cincinnati
- New academic and artistic partnerships across the Avondale community