Aspire, Adult Education — HSE, ESOL and 22+ Credit Recovery Programs
Learn More. Earn More.
22 + Credit Recovery - Adult High School Diploma
HSE - High School Equivalent diploma
ESOL - English for Speakers of Other Languages
Cincinnati Public Schools offers Aspire, an adult basic and literacy education programs, with free day and evening classes for adult learners. Aspire is part of the Ohio Department of Higher Education. CPS' Aspire program (formerly called ABLE), serving adults since the 1960s, receives funds as part of a collaborative partnership with River City Correctional Center, Education Matters Centers and the YWCA.
Aspire's Mission: To motivate, educate and prepare adults to develop the academic and essential skills necessary to become more effective leaders at home, work and in the community.
Who do we serve? Adults age 19 and older who no longer are enrolled in K-12 educational programs and need to upgrade academic skills. (Children ages 16, 17 and 18 may be served by Aspire, but they must be officially withdrawn from high school.)
Aspire helps people:
- Prepare for the HSE Exam
- Upgrade academic skills to prepare for college or other training programs
- Develop or enhance essential skills to succeed in the workplace
- Learn to speak English or improve English language skills
Where are classes offered? Aspire sites are offered in partnership with community agencies and are located throughout the city of Cincinnati. Classes are free and available year-round during the day and evening. Online study is available to individuals with access to reliable internet and compatible technology.
- CityLink Center
- East End Adult Education Center
- Education Matters Center - East Price Hill and Lower Price Hill
- Madisonville Education and Assistance Center
- Mercy Neighborhood Ministries
- Queen City Vocational Center
- Seven Hills Neighborhood House (Distance Education Only)
- St. Vincent de Paul, Winton Terrace (Distance Education Only)
- The Healing Center
How do I enroll in Aspire classes?
Enroll by attending a New Student Registration Session. New Student Registration Sessions are three hours long and offered twice each week when Cincinnati Public Schools are in session. Participants must arrive on time and stay for the entire three hours. No pre-registration is needed.
Aspire New Student Registration Sessions:
- When - Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., and Fridays from 9 a.m. to noon (when CPS schools are in session)
- Where - Queen City Vocational Center, 425 Ezzard Charles Drive, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45203
22+ Adult Credit Recovery Diploma Program:
The 22+ Adult high school diploma Program helps adults earn a high school diploma.
The program is free to adults who are 22 years or older, who reside in Ohio and do not have a diploma or high school equivalence diploma.
A 22+ Program Coordinator works with the students to develop individual plans and identify the courses and assessments needed to graduate and earn a diploma. Instructional dates and times are scheduled to meet the needs of adult learners. Participants must meet the requirements for the time of entry into the 9th grade (such as required number of credits, pass OGT/Proficiency, etc.)
Requirements for participation:
- Obtain official high school transcript
- Lack 6 or fewer high school credits and no more than 2 OGT’s
- Committed to completing the program in 2 years
- 1 year of full-time employment history preferred
- Be officially accepted into the 22+ credit recovery program
22+ Credit Recovery Adult Diploma Program is only offered at Queen City Vocational Center.
HSE (High School Equivalence) offers a second chance to complete high school educations. Obtaining an HSE will open doors to many opportunities in employment, and entry into technical schools and colleges.
The HSE exam consists of four parts and takes about seven hours to complete. HSE prep classes are designed to prepare adult students for the exam, including study of math, writing, social studies and science. Instruction and materials are provided at no cost to students.
HSE Test Voucher
Ohio uses a computer-based and paper/pencil HSE testing process. The state gives first-time test-takers vouchers to off-set the cost of the exam. Cincinnati Public Schools is a Career-Technical Planning District and is therefore eligible to issue HSE vouchers.
Integrated Education and Training
Contextualized skill upgrade designed to provide practical and relevant knowledge, workforce readiness and workforce training. Participants engage in a wide range of academic experiences that build academic foundational, employability and occupational skills.
Course content will assist students to:
- Upgrade academic skills
- Identify and explore career interests
- Gain better understanding of college and work culture
- Enhance technology skills
- Build confidence for successful futures
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
ESOL classes are available to assist adults who do not speak English as their native language. Group, individualized and computer-assisted instruction are available in:
- Reading, writing and conversational English
- American culture and traditions
- Citizenship preparation
How do I enroll in ESOL classes? Call (513) 363-6100 for ESOL New Student Intake information.
For more information on CPS' Aspire program:
Adult Education Resources: