- Clarify special education rules such as the Individual Education Plan (IEP), Evaluation Team Report (ETR) and the 504 plan
- Help parents learn their rights according to the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA)
- Explain district discipline practices and services, such as transportation and food service
- Help families communicate with schools
- Attend meetings with families as an advocate
- Connect families with each other for networking and support
- Organize information workshops to help family members understand special education terms and procedures
- Provide information about other services available locally
Parent Mentor Program
A parent mentor helps families of children with disabilities and other educational needs. The mentor assists parents in learning how to deal with their children's special needs, as well as informing them about available support, services, and their parental rights.
The district's parent mentor can:
The district's Parent Mentors have children with disabilities, which helps in understanding issues other parents may have in addressing their children's needs.
Contact our district Parent Mentors: