Cincinnati Public Schools offers enrichment programs for students identified as gifted.
CPS offers two gifted academy magnet programs for focused gifted curriculum: The Cincinnati Gifted Academy West at Cheviot School, and, opening in August 2017, the new Spencer Center for Gifted and Exceptional Students, 2825 Alms Place, Walnut Hills (45206).
Who is Gifted?
According to the Ohio Department of Education, gifted children are defined as children who perform, or have the potential to perform, at higher levels of accomplishment when compared with children of similar age, experience or environment.
Children are screened for gifted ability in four areas:
- Superior cognitive ability
- Specific academic ability in subject areas
- Creativity in thinking and
- Superior ability in visual and/or performing arts
The Gifted Programming Department identifies children who perform at exceptionally high levels — or children who show potential to do so.
Gifted programming helps teachers and schools better meet children's educational needs. For example, once a child is identified as gifted, the school can develop a plan to provide additional services.
Did You Know?
- Thomas Edison was told by teachers that he was too stupid to learn anything.
- At age 21, F. W. Woolworth was not allowed to work with customers in a dry goods store because his employers felt he had "no good sense."
- A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney because he had "no good ideas."
- Orville Wright was expelled from sixth grade.
Common Characteristics for Gifted Students
- Ability to handle distractions
- Ablility to concentrate on one topic at length
- Ability to make connections between wide ranges of information
- Ability to memorize and learn rapidly
- High level of energy
- Independent learner
- High degree of perfectionism
- Quick to spot inconsistencies
- Strong sense of humor
- Strong commitment
- Prefers company of older children and adults
- Ability to generate original ideas
- Multiple interests
- Highly sensitive
For additional information, contact Betsy Singh: (513) 363-0196; email@example.com