In compliance with Senate Bill 311, Cincinnati Public Schools offers students opportunities to earn high school credit through a credit flexibility program.
"Credit flex" shifts the focus from evaluating student learning based on "seat time" to assessing students' demonstrated academic and skill level or performance.
With "credit flex," students have options to show what they know, earn credit(s), and move on to higher-order content. It is especially useful in providing rich learning opportunities for students whose interests (and /or performance) extend beyond the regular curriculum.
It is important to note that there are specific guidelines and timelines that students must follow to be considered for participation in Cincinnati Public Schools' credit flexibility program.
Credit Flex Program Implementation
Submission Deadlines: 2017 -2018 and beyond
May 30 for Summer and Fall
November 30 for Spring (2nd Semester)
All students must meet with guidance counselors prior to submitting credit flex applications. All applications must be complete when submitted; incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Option A: Post-Secondary Educational Option (PSEO) or dual enrollment
Option B: Test out or otherwise demonstrate mastery of course content
Option C: Pursue a student-designed educational option
- Credit will be reported on student transcripts in the same way that seat-time credit is recorded.
- Credit will be awarded once Option B or C is completed; therefore, these options will not be considered for athletic eligibility. Students still will need to be enrolled in and passing five courses (not including PE) per grading period to be eligible by the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) standards.
- Although credit flexibility gives students and families more control and choice, it also involves more personal responsibility. Students and families are responsible for any costs associated with the educational option portion of the plan.
- To receive credit, all courses, as applicable, must be aligned to the Ohio Academic Content and Technical Standards.
- Credit Flexibility Guidance documents
Credit Flex and Test-Out Form
Questions? E-mail the Credit Flex committee: HSCflex@cps-k12.org