Agricultural and Environmental Systems
Several high schools have agriculturally-based Career Tech programs.
Interested in working with animals or the food sciences? Then our Agribusiness and Production Systems Program might be right for you. This program is ideal for students who:
- Enjoy working with plants and animals
- Are interested in the science of food
- Are passionate about protecting the environment
Horticulture is a big area of focus for Clark Montessori High School. This program focuses on plant and horticultural science as well as effective ways to grow and showcase landscape elements. Students who are interested in the management of plants would be interested in this program.
This program pulls together a variety of disciplines — including biology, chemistry and physics — to teach students about the world of agriculture, plant and animal science, and the complex field of food science. Students will also benefit from leadership development, personal growth and career exploration.
The Zoo Academy is the only high school program in the country that pairs students with zoo professionals for daily hands-on work experience at the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden. Students take classes that prepare them for leadership roles in the fields of conservation, environmental science, and plant and animal care.
Careers available in the Agricultural and Environmental Systems pathways include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Agriculture engineer
- Bee Keeper
- Conservation planner
- Endangered Species Biologist
- Forest Health Specialist
- Park Ranger
- Wildlife Officer
- Zoo Keeper
Salary Ranges: $27,000–75,000
There are a number of industry-recognized credentials for this career area. Some of these include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Center for Innovative Food Technology Approved Food Industry Specialist
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians in American — Approved Veterinary Assistant
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) Core
- Center for Innovative Food Technology Approved Food Industry Associate
For more information, call or email Michael Turner, Career and Technical Education Manager, at (513) 363-0383.