Most of the 16 targeted schools of the Elementary Initiative continued to make academic strides in the 2010-11 school year.
Formerly the district's lowest-performing schools, the EI schools — now called Turnaround Schools — made significant gains that helped lift the district as a whole. Cincinnati Public Schools again earned an Effective rating on the Ohio Report Card and is the only urban school district in Ohio to achieve that high of a rating.
Four Turnaround Schools — Mt. Airy School, Rothenberg Preparatory Academy, South Avondale School and W.H. Taft Elementary School — were redesigned in 2009 and 2008 with new staffs and revamped curriculum.
"What is particularly striking about these results for 2010-11 is that every single one of the redesigned schools has made impressive progress," Superintendent Mary Ronan said.
Details on the achievement at the four redesigned schools for 2010-11:
- South Avondale School jumped three categories from Academic Emergency into the Effective rating — the first EI school to earn such a high rating. It's the school's highest rating since the state began issuing ratings a decade ago.
- Mt. Airy School moved up two categories from Academic Emergency into Continuous Improvement.
- Rothenberg Preparatory Academy and W. H. Taft Elementary School maintained their 2009-10 moves up into Continuous Improvement and both emerged from School Improvement status under the federal No Child Left Behind Act.
- All four redesigned schools met their annual federal progress targets.
Six EI schools moved up on the 2010-11Report Card:
- Carson School — up one rating into Continuous Improvement
- Chase School — up two ratings into Continuous Improvement
- Hays-Porter School — up two ratings into Continuous Improvement
- Mt. Airy School — up two ratings into Continuous Improvement
- Parker School — up one rating into Continuous Improvement
- South Avondale School — up three ratings into Effective
Five EI schools maintained their Continuous Improvement ratings:
- Douglass School
- Roll Hill Academy
- Rothenberg Preparatory Academy
- Oyler School
- W. H. Taft Elementary School