Superintendent Laura Mitchell
Superintendent Laura Mitchell is not one to back away from a big job. She steps up to it.
Before stepping up as the only internal candidate in Cincinnati Public Schools’ national search for a superintendent (launched in December 2016), Mitchell served as CPS' Deputy Superintendent and Chief Academic Officer. She led the implementation of major academic improvement strategies, such as the Elementary Initiative, which raised achievement in the district’s 16 lowest-performing elementary schools. Her leadership and collaboration with a team of principals, teachers and instructional coaches elevated the district to the rating of "Effective," making CPS the first and only urban school district in Ohio to earn this distinction. She also launched My Tomorrow, a comprehensive college and career readiness initiative.
Mitchell stepping into the Superintendent's role is, in a way, the next natural phase in her career and passion. A lifelong Cincinnatian, she was born in the city's Bond Hill neighborhood, and she beams with pride when she tells you from which high school she graduated: CPS’ School for Creative and Performing Arts. She earned her bachelor’s degree at Bennett College in North Carolina and her master’s degree at the University of Cincinnati, leading to her life's work in education — spent almost entirely with Cincinnati Public Schools. She has worked for CPS in a number of roles, including teacher, assistant principal, award-winning principal and teaching coach who provided guidance to schools throughout the district.
As the Cincinnati Enquirer once put it, Mitchell doesn't have one motivator, she has 35,000 — the students. As superintendent, Mitchell's primary focus is to continue to accelerate academic achievement throughout the district and prepare students to compete globally.
- Superintendent, CPS (2017 to present)
- Deputy Superintendent and Chief Academic Officer, CPS (January 2005-August 2017)
- Program Manager for Leadership Development, Stupski Foundation (September 2004-2005)
- Lead Principal, Instructional Support Team, CPS (August 2003-2004)
- Elementary Principal, Westwood School, CPS (August 1999-2003) - Winner, 2002 Milken Educator Award
- Elementary Assistant Principal, Westwood School, CPS (August 1998-1999)
- Elementary Teacher, Central Fairmount School, CPS (August 1993-1998)
- Elementary Teacher, Timothy Elementary School, Athens, Georgia (August 1991-1992)
Education and Certification
- Superintendent certification – Xavier University, 2006
- Master’s degree in Education Administration – University of Cincinnati, 1996
- Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education – Bennett College, 1991
- National Board Certified Teacher