Superintendent Laura Mitchell
Superintendent Laura Mitchell is not one to back away from a big job. She steps up to it.
Before stepping up as the only internal candidate in CPS’ national search for a superintendent (launched in December 2016), Laura served as the Deputy Superintendent and Chief Academic Officer for the district. She led the implementation of major academic improvement strategies, such as the Elementary Initiative, which raised achievement in the district’s 16 lowest-performing elementary schools. Her leadership and collaboration with a team of principals, teachers and instructional coaches elevated the district to the rating of “Effective,” making CPS the first and only urban school district in Ohio to earn this distinction. She also launched My Tomorrow, a comprehensive college and career readiness initiative.
Mitchell stepping into the Superintendent role is, in a way, the next natural phase in her career and passion. She is a lifelong Cincinnatian, born in Bond Hill, and beams with pride when she tells you what high school she graduated from: CPS’ School for Creative and Performing Arts. After earning her bachelor’s degree at Bennett College in North Carolina and her master’s degree at the University of Cincinnati, she began her life’s work in education with Cincinnati Public Schools. She has worked for CPS in a number of roles, including teacher, assistant principal, principal and teaching coach who provided guidance to schools throughout the district.
As the Cincinnati Enquirer once put it, Mitchell doesn't have one motivator, she has 35,000 -- the students. As superintendent, Mitchell's primary focus is to continue to accelerate academic achievement throughout the district and prepare students to compete globally.
- Superintendent, CPS (2017 to present)
- Deputy Superintendent and Chief Academic Officer, CPS (January 2005-August 2017)
- Program Manager for Leadership Development, Stupski Foundation (September 2004-2005)
- Lead Principal, Instructional Support Team, CPS (August 2003-2004)
- Elementary Principal, Westwood School, CPS (August 1999-2003)
- Elementary Assistant Principal, Westwood School, CPS (August 1998-1999)
- Elementary Teacher, Central Fairmount School, CPS (August 1993-1998)
- Elementary Teacher, Timothy Elementary School, Athens, Georgia (August 1991-1992)
Education and Certification
- Superintendent certification – Xavier University, 2006
- Master’s degree in Education Administration – University of Cincinnati, 1996
- Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education – Bennett College, 1991
- National Board Certified Teacher