CPS Welcomes Out-of-District Students
Students in preschool through 12th grade who live outside the boundaries of the Cincinnati Public School District may apply for admission to CPS schools during the annual Open Enrollment Lottery period.
- May 1–31, 2023 — Online Lottery Application; parents receive letters — July 2023 (Subject to change)
- *Only one application may be submitted per child per school year.
CPS' Board of Education adopted an Open Enrollment policy in January 2013, allowing out-of-district students to enter CPS schools without paying tuition (if they live in Ohio; students accepted from other states must pay tuition. Out of state tuition to attend a CPS school for 2022-23 is $10,232.90 per year. ($1136.98 each month)
CPS' Open Enrollment policy: Board Policy 5113 (also called Interdistrict Open Enrollment)
Open Enrollment Details
Students who live within CPS' district boundaries have priority for enrollment before out-of-district students are considered.
Students (preschool through 12th grade) applying under Open Enrollment must meet any entrance criteria required by a CPS school (such as an entrance exam or an audition).
- Walnut Hills High School: Students who live outside the CPS district boundaries may take the Walnut Hills Entrance Exam (WHEE) for a $55.00 entry fee into Walnut Hills High School.
- Visit the Walnut Hills Entrance Exam (WHEE, formerly called Special College Preparatory Program (SCPP) website for registration details.
- For more WHEE Information for Out-of-District Students, call CPS' Family Technology Support: (513) 363-0186
- School for Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA): An out-of-district student interested in applying to SCPA must submit an online application during the Open Enrollment Period. CPS (not SCPA) will notify parents of a child's acceptance via Open Enrollment. If an audition is required (for grades 4-12), the out-of-district student must audition, then apply via the online Open Enrollment process.
After a child is accepted via Open Enrollment, a parent/guardian must register the child at the CPS school. To register, parents or guardians must bring the required documents to the CPS school.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Open Enrollment Guidelines
- Non-CPS Students Applying to CPS High Schools — In District and Out of District
Call CPS' Customer Care Center: (513) 363-0123