All-Day Kindergarten Offered in CPS
Cincinnati Public Schools offers all-day kindergarten in all elementary schools.
Children must be age 5 by September 30 to enter kindergarten. Ohio law requires that children participate in a kindergarten experience prior to entering first grade.
Kindergarten Parent Handbook (2013-14)
Early Entrance to Kindergarten: Younger children who turn age 5 between October 1 and December 31 may enter only after passing a test. For information on having your child tested for early kindergarten entrance, contact the Customer Help Center at (513) 363-0123.
Neighborhood Schools Kindergarten Enrollment
Parents follow the enrollment guidelines for Neighborhood Schools.
Magnet Schools Kindergarten Lottery
Kindergarten Lottery for the 2015-16 school year:
6 a.m. October 25 through 11 p.m. November 1, 2014
Cincinnati Public Schools' limited Kindergarten Lottery — with students selected randomly by computer for admission — is designed to allow more equitable access to kindergarten seats in the district's most popular magnet schools.
Parents of students not eligible for this limited lottery may apply to magnet schools following the district's magnet application process.
Parents of eligible students may apply online to the lottery on the CPS Website during the lottery timeline. If needed, parents may enter the lottery using computers in
- CPS schools or
- CPS' Education Center , 2651 Burnet Avenue, 45219 (Corryville) in the Customer Help Center (513) 363-0123
Beginning early November, parents will be notified by mail of their child's kindergarten lottery status.
Eligibility for Kindergarten Lottery
The Kindergarten Lottery is limited in several ways:
1) Students must live in the attendance boundaries of specific neighborhood schools to be eligible for entry into the Kindergarten Lottery. These schools are identified based on their Performance Index Scores below 78 on the most recent Ohio Report Card.
- Eligible Neighborhood Schools for 2015-16 Kindergarten Lottery:
Frederick Douglass School
Rees E. Price Academy
Roselawn Condon School
W. H. Taft School
2) The Kindergarten Lottery assigns seats only into specific magnet schools that have a history of generating waiting lists.
- Magnet schools receiving lottery students for 2015-16:
Dater Montessori School
Fairview-Clifton German Language School
North Avondale Montessori School
Sands Montessori School
School for Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA)
The Kindergarten Lottery assigns students to 30 percent of the kindergarten seats that remain open at the eligible magnet schools after the close of the Early Application Period.
The remaining open kindergarten seats will be available to parents on a first-come basis during the Regular Application Period.