Getting students to and from school every school day is among the largest and most complex responsibilities entrusted to Cincinnati Public Schools.
Yellow school buses (elementary schools) and Metro buses (public transportation; high schools only) carry more than 27,000 CPS students daily, with yellow buses covering more than 5 million miles a year.
School transportation services are offered to eligible students who live within the boundaries of the Cincinnati Public School District and attend Cincinnati Public Schools, as well as students who live within the CPS district and attend charter and private (nonpublic) schools.
The Pupil Transportation Branch determines the appropriate type of transportation service to be used such as:
- Yellow bus (for regular and special-needs students and magnet programs), usually grades K-6
- Metro bus (public transportation) regular and Extra routes, usually grades 7-12
- Ambulance (special-needs students with medical conditions)
- Parent reimbursement (offered in lieu of service for students who are determined "impractical" to transport because of distance or scheduling).
Transportation service is offered daily, on a single round-trip basis (i.e. home to school and school to home). Any transportation service offered beyond this will be considered when it can be accomplished safely and efficiently.
Yellow Bus Stops
Students are assigned to Board-approved bus stops for efficiency. Routes are designed according to state and district safety operating procedures and industry best practices. Routes are designed to serve the maximum amount of students and keep the trips as short as possible.
School transportation services are designed with the "Safety First" concept in mind. All services meet or exceed local, state and national statutes and regulations. Bus drivers are scrutinized, trained and licensed in accordance with state and national statutes and regulations. Buses are maintained and inspected in accordance with state statutes and regulations. Safety is a continuous process due to changing conditions.
Read more on:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Change Student Information
- Inclement Weather
- Transportation Policies
- Transportation Eligibility
To apply for a job as a bus driver, contact the First Student bus company: (513) 761-6100.