Applying to Magnet Elementary Schools
In October 2015, Cincinnati Public Schools began using an online lottery application process for applications to magnet elementary schools for the 2016-17 school year (a one-year suspension of district's previous first-come application process).
Video - Explanation of CPS' magnet school online application process.
Magnet School Descriptions and Online Application Information —
Details about applying to School for Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA)
CPS' magnet elementary schools offer a variety of content focuses and teaching styles to give parents and students educational choices. Parents choose to send their children to magnet elementary schools by applying during the district's annual application process. (CPS assigns students to neighborhood elementary schools based on home addresses.)
New Magnet School Online Application Process
Cincinnati Public Schools is using an online application system for its magnet elementary schools for the 2016-17 school year, starting with the application cycle beginning in October 2015. Most magnet school seats will be awarded via a random lottery.
The Cincinnati Board of Education voted to suspend for one year the district’s long-standing policy of assigning magnet school seats on a first-come application basis. The CPS administration and the Board will continue work on creating a new permanent magnet application policy for future years, and will seek input from parents and the community.
Results of community meetings on new online magnet lottery - PowerPoint (presented to Board March 16, 2016)
The new online application continues the T (formerly, the Magnet Kindergarten Lottery).
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions - new Magnet Online Application Process
Magnet Application Parent Information -
- PowerPoint presentation (from information meetings September-October 2015)
- Video of PowerPoint presentation
Enrollment: After a child is accepted into a magnet school and before the school year begins, the parent must fill out the Student Registration Information Packet to complete the enrollment process.
Magnet Application - Sign-up Dates for 2017-18 School Year
Early Application Period - Siblings — Oct. 17-28, 2016
- Parents must go to the school to put in a paper application. Call the school for application hours. (Early Application is not part of the new online application process.)
- Students participating in the Early Application Period must meet a school's eligibility requirements, if any.
The Early Application Form 2017-18 will be posted here in October 2016. It also will be available at magnet schools in October 2016.
Who may apply during this Early Application period?
- A sibling of an in-district student already enrolled in a magnet school may apply to the sibling's magnet school. Entering students will be given priority over other students to enter a sibling’s magnet school. The sibling must live within the CPS district and must currently attend the magnet school in grades preschool to 5 (or, at AMIS, AWL, Roberts or Roselawn Condon, to grade 7), and must live at the same address.
Magnet School Online Application (lottery)
6 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, 2016, through 11:59 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, 2016 (four weeks - first round)
Online Application is for
- In-district students who live within the areas (East or West) of the magnet elementary schools they want to attend.
- In-district students who want to apply to citywide magnet schools.
Parents may submit online applications from any computer or tablet with Internet access, or from the CPS smartphone App, during the five-week application period; entry time of an applications does not matter, within the five-week application period.
If needed, parents may enter the Magnet School Online Application Process using computers in
- CPS schools or
- CPS' Education Center , 2651 Burnet Avenue, 45219 (Corryville) in the Customer Help Center, (513) 363-0123
Residents Out-of-Area (East & West) Application Period — Begins February 6, 2017
Sign-up begins for any in-district student who lives outside the East or West area of a chosen magnet elementary school. A magnet school may accept out-of-area applications only if the school has no waiting list.
Parents must go to the magnet school to put in a paper application form for out-of-area application. Call the school for hours. (Out-of-Area application is not part of the new online application process.)
Magnet Preschool and Kindergarten Requirements
Information on this page applies only to in-district students (living within the Cincinnati Public School District's boundaries). Students who live outside CPS may apply to CPS schools ONLY during the Open Enrollment Online Application Period, April 1-30.
Information or assistance for all Magnet school applications and enrollment:
CPS' Customer Help Center